A partial list of things I've seen: 1. Java JDK not supported - Currently 1.7.0u51 works, however 184.108.40.206 fails. 2. Schema exists, but not all MySQL scripts complete( no data or upgrade file run) 3. JAVA_HOME variable not defined, or not set correctly 4. The password for the DB not specified/incorrect in the Profiler.xml file 5. Port Closed / IPTABLES firewall not allowing connection(service iptables stop to test) 6. Listening port not on 80 (8080 or 8443 are common), and connection fails (add port to connect URL) 7. Connection to local DB not created/fails (invalid credential, configure connection SecuronixDB) 8. Catalina OPTs incorrect in environment settings CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -Dsolr.solr.home=C:\Securonix\securonix_home\solr
I'm sure others have contributions and I hope everyone will post and help to build a list of known issues to check for with fixes where known.
asked 28 May '14, 18:29
when installing the application, the license couldn't get updated. I have cleared the cookies ans cache. I took a backup of master, master license, system key & then truncated the tables, after that application I ran successfully.
This answer is marked "community wiki".
answered 14 Jul '15, 12:02